Group Residential Housing (GRH) is a state funded program that pays for room and board costs for low-income elderly and adults with disabilities living in some licensed or registered community-based settings. The program aims to reduce and prevent institutional residence or homelessness.
Group Residential Housing Payment Rates
How does it work?
• County human service agencies receive, assess and approve applications to the GRH program.
• Counties arrange for an individual’s placement within a licensed and GRH contracted facility.
• Group Residential Housing pays for room and board in more than 5,765 licensed or registered settings. About 4,263 of those are adult foster care homes. Other settings include boarding and lodging facilities, supervised living facilities, noncertified boarding care homes, housing with service establishments and other assisted living settings.
• Housing providers receive payments on behalf of eligible recipients. Funds are used to pay for rent, utilities, food, household supplies and other necessities to provide room and board to participants.
• Depending on their income, some recipients may be required to pay a portion of the GRH housing rate directly to their housing provider. The state pays the remainder directly to the provider.
• The program can make supplemental service payments in some setting if recipients are not eligible for home and community-based waiver programs.
• In fiscal year 2012, the Group Residential Housing program served a monthly average of 18,600 participants. Seniors accounted for 17 percent of all recipients.
• All GRH recipients younger than 65 years old have conditions that limit their self-sufficiency, including a physical or mental health disability, visual impairment or a chemical dependency.
• Recipients must meet a combination of eligibility requirements set by the Supplemental Security Income Program or General Assistance program to qualify for assistance.
• The current monthly room-and-board limit is $877. The state’s average monthly payment per recipient is approximately $545.
• The standard limit for the Group Residential Housing Supplemental Service rate is $482.84 per participant, per month.
• A total of $122 million was spent for Group Residential Housing programs, services and participants in FY 2012.
Report/Rate this page