Office of the Ombudsman for State Managed Health Care Programs

Printable brochure (PDF) (DHS-6507)
Resolving problems with your health plan

Grievances, appeals and state fair hearings

Health plan phone numbers
Other places to get help

The ombudsman helps people in Minnesota Health Care Programs (MHCP) who are enrolled in a health plan for their Medical Assistance (MA) or MinnesotaCare benefits.

The ombudsman helps enrollees get needed care and resolve billing problems. The ombudsman provides information and assistance with the managed care grievance and appeal process available through the health plan and the state.

What is an ombudsman?

  • A problem solver
  • A neutral investigator
  • An advocate for fair and equal treatment.
  • Who can get help from the ombudsman?

    People on MinnesotaCare or MA who get their coverage through a health plan, or the authorized representative of a person enrolled in a health plan.

    What can the ombudsman do?

  • Help you identify issues and possible solutions
  • Help you know your rights
  • Investigate complaints
  • Negotiate with your health plan to help you get the care you need
  • Resolve billing issues
  • Explain how to file a grievance, appeal or state fair hearing
  • Help you navigate the health care system.
  • When should I call an ombudsman for help?

  • You are not getting the care that you need
  • You are getting bills that you think your health plan should pay
  • You cannot solve a problem by talking to your health care provider or health plan
  • You do not know how to make a complaint.
  • How do I contact the Ombudsman office?

  • Call 651-431-2660 or 800-657-3729; TTY: 711
  • Mail a letter to:
  • Ombudsman for State Managed Health Care Programs
  • PO Box 64249
  • St. Paul, MN 55164-0249
  • Is there anyone else I can call for help?

    Each county has managed care advocates (PDF) (DHS-6666) who can help you.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page