Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) Policy Manual
DHS Home CountyLink Home Manuals Home Bulletins
Advanced Search
Show/Hide Table of Contents  

8.12 Moving Between Counties

ISSUE DATE: 04/2018

Moving from your county

A family that moves from your county to a new county must notify you within 10 days after the move. Your county remains responsible for child care funding for the Unitary Residency period of two full calendar months after the move. If the family moves on or after the first day of the month, the two full calendar month period begins the first of the following month.

If after an initial reported move, the family moves again to a new county during the two-month Unitary Residency period, the first county is also responsible for the second two-month Unitary Residency period.

If the family is on MFIP or DWP, your county remains financially responsible while still responsible for the employment services plan. Your county and the new county may transfer the responsibility earlier if you are both in agreement.

See Inter Agency Case Transfer Form DHS-3195 (PDF) for a sample status transfer form. For transferring county information, see MEC2 User Manual, Physical Transfer of a CCAP File in the Case Transfer procedures section.

Moving to your county

MFIP/DWP families

When a MFIP or DWP family moves to another county and the new county accepts responsibility for the family’s employment plan, the new county is also responsible for providing child care assistance on the date that the county accepted responsibility for the plan.

BSF families

If the family was on Basic Sliding Fee (BSF) in the previous county, the family must let your county know of the move within 60 days of the move in order to receive Portability Pool funding. The original county should request address/residency verification but should not take any negative action if verification is not received. The new county must have verification prior to issuing a Service Authorization and if verification is not received, the case would be suspended. The original county remains financially responsible for the family’s BSF child care for the Unitary Residency period of two full calendar months. See Chapter (BSF Portability Pool).

The family must continue to meet all eligibility guidelines to remain eligible. As long as the family contacts the new county prior to their case closing, apply the 85% State Median Income (SMI) exit criteria for families in their 12 month eligibility period or 67% State Median Income (SMI) exit criteria for families at their redetermination. If the family does not contact the new county prior to their case closing, the new county must treat the family as a new applicant.

If the family is eligible for Portability Pool, your county must accept administrative responsibility and continue serving the family under Portability Pool for six months, or until your county is able to serve the family under BSF, whichever happens first.

If the family was not receiving child care assistance but was on the BSF waiting list in the previous county, they are not eligible for Portability Pool funding. Treat the family as a new applicant in your county.

Transiton Year families

When a Transition Year (TY) family moves to a new county their transition year continues for the remainder of their 12-month TY period.

Closed cases that reapply within 30 days

If a case has closed and the family reapplies within 30 days, that case remains the responsibility of the county from which the family moved until they have lived in the new county for two full calendar months. A request to send the physical file should be made to the previous county.

Moves during a family’s 12 month eligibility period

If a family moves during their12 month eligibility period, the new CCAP agency must not:

  • · Reduce the authorized hours.
  • - Authorized hours must not be reduced soley because of the move.
  • - Authorized hours can be reduced if the family meets the criteria for reducing hours during the 12 month eligibility period. See Chapter 9.12 (Authorization changes during the 12 month eligibility period) for information about when authorized hours can be reduced,
  • · Increase the family’s copayment, OR
  • · Require verification of changes during the 12 month eligibility period that do not impact the family’s eligibility.
  • - If the new county realizes required verifications are missing from the physical case file, agencies should first contact the original county to determine if the original county has the verification. If the original county does not have the verification, the agency can request verification from the family. If the family does not submit the verification, eligibility and authorization continues until redetermination.
  • Legal authority

    Minnesota Statute 119B.025
    Minnesota Statute 119B.03
    Minnesota Statute 119B.10
    Minnesota Rule 3400.0020
    Minnesota Rule 3400.0040
    Minnesota Rule 3400.0060
    Minnesota Rule 3400.0080

    Rate/Report this pageReport/Rate this page

    © 2018 Minnesota Department of Human Services Updated: 4/3/18 3:33 PM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 4/3/18 3:33 PM