Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) Policy Manual
Advanced Search|  

9.3.3 Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN)

ISSUE DATE: 07/2013

Effective July 1, 2014, a legislative change to Minnesota Statutes, section 119B.09, subdivision 9(a) prohibits Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) payments to child care centers if more than 50% of the children cared for by the center are children of the center’s employees or reside with the center employees. Implementing this change involves collection of Federal Identification Numbers (FEIN) by county agencies and monitoring of compliance by DHS.


All employed adults who are part of a CCAP family are required to supply their employer’s Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). Self-employed adults are not required to supply a FEIN.

A FEIN, also called an Employer Identification Number (EIN) or Tax Identification Number (TIN), is a nine digit unique number that the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) assigns to businesses that are required to file tax returns. Every company has its own FEIN, which is provided to employees for the purpose of filing their taxes each year.

Agencies must obtain the FEIN for all employers of employed adults who are part of a CCAP family and enter the FEIN in MEC2. The FEIN must be obtained at application, redetermination, or at the time the family reports a change in employment. Verification of the FEIN is not required.

There is a space for the client to include the FEIN on the CCAP Application (DHS-3550) and Redetermination (DHS-5274) forms.

There is a field on the Earned Income window in MEC2 for the agency worker to enter the FEIN. Do not deny CCAP eligibility while obtaining the FEIN. The agency worker may override eligibility results to allow additional time in which to obtain the FEIN.

There are several ways employed adults can find their employer’s FEIN.

The FEIN may be found on:

A W2
A paystub
The company’s website
Calling the company and requesting the number

The FEIN of a public company may be found on their:

Other SEC filings.
These documents can be located free of charge through the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission’s EDGAR database at


Minnesota Statutes 119B.09, Subd. 9A

Rate/Report this pageReport/Rate this page

© 2018 Minnesota Department of Human Services Updated: 7/1/14 9:31 AM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 7/1/14 9:31 AM