Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services Combined Manual
DHS Home CountyLink Home Manuals Home Bulletins
Advanced Search
Show/Hide Table of Contents  


ISSUE DATE: 10/2015

Parents and stepparents of minor caregivers who live with the caregiver cannot receive assistance with the minor caregiver. The parents and stepparents may apply on their own. See 0014 (Assistance Units).

You may need to deem part of the income of parents and stepparents of minor caregivers. Do not deem the income of a parent or stepparent who is on MFIP. If the parent or stepparent is on strike, use the pre-strike earnings when deeming the parent's or stepparent's income to the minor caregiver who receives MFIP.

Use the procedure below to determine how much of the minor caregiver's parent's or stepparent's income to deem to the minor caregiver’s unit:


Determine the parent's or stepparent's gross income. See 0017 (Determining Gross Income).


Deduct 200% of the federal poverty guideline for a household size not including the minor caregiver and the minor caregiver's child/ren from the income of the minor caregiver's parent or stepparent. Include all members of the household (including minor children) in the household size for this calculation. See 0016.18.01 (200 Percent of Federal Poverty Guidelines).


Deduct amounts the parent or stepparent actually paid to people not living in the same household but whom the parent or stepparent claims or could claim as dependents for determining federal personal income tax liability.


Deduct payments made by parents or stepparents for child support, spousal support, child care support, or medical support of children not living in the parent's household, provided that, if there has been a change in the financial circumstances of the parent since the court order was entered, the parent has petitioned for a modification of the support order. Deduct child support, spousal support, child care support, or medical support paid, as noted in 0018.33 (Child and Spousal Support Deductions).


Deduct an allocation for the needs of other members in the household not included in Step 3. See 0018.30 (Allocations) for who is eligible for an allocation and how to determine the amount.


Deem the person's remaining income as unearned income to the unit.


Deem the income of a minor caregiver’s parent(s) when the minor is living with the father of the child and the couple is NOT married.


No provisions.


Do not count the income of legal guardians.

Do not consider the income of the parents of blind children eligible for a personal needs allowance under the provisions of 0020.24 (Personal Needs Allowance).

In all other cases, when a parent who is not eligible for MSA lives with the parent's dependent child who is a client, part of the parent's income may be considered available to the child.

To determine the amount of income to count, see 0016.15 (Income From Ineligible Parents).

Rate/Report this pageReport/Rate this page

© 2018 Minnesota Department of Human Services Updated: 10/1/15 9:02 AM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 10/1/15 9:02 AM