Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services Combined Manual
DHS Home CountyLink Home Manuals Home Bulletins
Advanced Search
Show/Hide Table of Contents  


ISSUE DATE: 11/2012

In addition to income maintenance, each county social services agency provides social services.

Each county social services agency develops a biennial Community Social Services Act Plan, which describes the services which will be available to eligible county residents. Most social services provided by the county agencies are directed at achieving or maintaining one or more of the following goals:

Economic self-support to prevent, reduce, or eliminate dependency.

Self-sufficiency, including reduction or prevention of dependency.

Prevent or remedy neglect, abuse, or exploitation of children and adults unable to protect their own interests.

Preserve, rehabilitate, or reunite families.

Prevent or reduce inappropriate institutional care by providing for community-based care, home-based care, or other forms of less intensive care.

Secure referral or admission for institutional care when other forms of care are not appropriate, or provide services to people in institutions.

Services must be provided to the following groups of people:

Families with children under age 18 who are experiencing child dependency, neglect, or abuse, and also pregnant minors, minor parents under the age of 18 and their children, and other minors.

People, including minors, who are under the guardianship of the Commissioner of Human Services as dependent and neglected wards.

Adults who are in need of protection.

People age 60 and over who are experiencing difficulty living independently and are unable to provide for their own needs.

Emotionally disturbed children, or chronically and acutely mentally ill people who are unable to provide for their own needs or to independently engage in ordinary community activities.

People with developmental disabilities who are unable to provide for their own needs or to independently engage in ordinary community activities.

People, including minors, who are dependent on drugs, intoxicated, and/or at risk of harm to themselves or others due to the ingestion of alcohol or other drugs.

Parents who are in need of child care services in order to secure or retain employment or to obtain the training or education necessary to secure employment. See the Child Care Assistance Program Policy Manual.

Minors involved in or at risk of involvement with criminal activity.

Other groups of people who, in the judgment of the county board, are in need of social services.

Each county agency uses the Department of Human Services classification structure for social services, which is BRASS (Budgeting, Reporting and Accounting for Social Services). It provides the structure for standardizing and organizing the service categories used by the county agency for social services planning, budgeting, accounting, financial statements and audits, and for most fiscal and statistical reporting to the Department.

Social services which may be provided include:

Child and adult protection.

Alternative response to reports of child maltreatment.


Homemaker and chore services.

Adaptive aids, supplies, or special equipment.

Adolescent life skills training.

Individual and group counseling.

Family-based crisis services.

Respite care.

Adoption services.

Child and adult foster care.

Child care assistance.

Child and adult mental health services.

Child and adult residential treatment.

Semi-independent living services (SILS).

In-home family support services.

Day training and rehabilitation (DAC).

Nursing home pre-admission screening.

Adult day care.

Many additional services.

For more information, refer to the Social Services Manual.

Refer people in need of social services to the county social services intake unit. County income maintenance staff must make a written referral to the social services unit for:

Minor caregivers.

People who may be vulnerable adults.

Children who may be victims of child maltreatment.

Children whose parents had their parental rights terminated but are now caregivers for their former children under another category of MFIP caregiver. See 0014.03.03 (Determining the Cash Assistance Unit).

Rate/Report this pageReport/Rate this page

© 2018 Minnesota Department of Human Services Updated: 12/1/14 12:01 AM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 12/1/14 12:01 AM