Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services Combined Manual
DHS Home CountyLink Home Manuals Home Bulletins
Advanced Search
Show/Hide Table of Contents  


ISSUE DATE: 12/2016

A Refugee Cash Assistance (RCA) unit consists of a single person or a married couple without minor child(ren) who live together; whose needs, assets, and income you consider together; and who receive a single benefit from a cash and/or food assistance program.

The following establish RCA units:

Single adults age 18 and older. Single adults who indicate at the time of application that they intend to go to school full-time are eligible for RCA until they actually begin school full-time. See 0030.03 (Refugee Cash Assistance).

Married couples without minor children.

Pregnant women and their spouses until they are determined eligible for MFIP. See 0011.06.09 (State Residence - 30-Day Requirement), 0013.03 (MFIP Bases of Eligibility), 0022.12.02 (Beginning Date of Eligibility).

Aged or disabled people until they are determined eligible for Supplemental Security Income (SSI) by the Social Security Administration (SSA) OR until the end of the 8-month eligibility period, whichever comes first.

Immediately refer clients who are age 65 or older, or who are blind or disabled, to SSA to apply for the SSI program. Approve RCA eligibility while waiting for the determination from SSA. Do not require clients to complete an SSI Interim Assistance Authorization (DHS-1795) (PDF).

Minors under age 18 who have been declared legally emancipated by a court of competent jurisdiction, or who are living with an adult with the consent of an agency acting as a legal custodian, and who are NOT eligible to be included in a DWP or MFIP assistance unit, as long as there is eligibility for a cash payment.

Refugee units with minor children are not eligible for RCA; they are eligible to apply for MFIP. Follow MFIP policy in determining eligibility, see 0013.03 (MFIP Bases of Eligibility), 0014.03.03 (Determining the Cash Assistance Unit).

Rate/Report this pageReport/Rate this page

© 2018 Minnesota Department of Human Services Updated: 12/1/16 10:01 AM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 12/1/16 10:01 AM