Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services Combined Manual
DHS Home CountyLink Home Manuals Home Bulletins
Advanced Search
Show/Hide Table of Contents  


ISSUE DATE: 03/2017

RCA assistance units will be 1-person or 2-person households, single adults or childless couples. The RCA assistance standards are aligned with the MFIP assistance standards and are as follows:

$360 - 1-person unit.

$547 - 2-person unit.

Clothing/personal needs allowance – resident of a LTC facility (see below).


There may be some instances when a refugee is placed in a Long Term Care facility (LTC). Living in a LTC facility does not prohibit RCA eligibility. The applicable RCA standard for a refugee living in a LTC facility, and who is eligible for RCA, is the applicable clothing and personal needs allowance. The RCA standard is the same amount as the personal needs allowance for MSA/GA/GRH, see 0020.24 (Personal Needs Allowance), the Minnesota Health Care Programs Eligibility Policy Manual.

A refugee placed in a LTC facility should be referred to SSA to apply for SSI. The refugee is eligible for RCA until eligibility for SSI is determined, or until the end of the 8-month RCA eligibility period, whichever comes first. If the LTC placement lasts longer than the 8-month RCA eligibility period and SSI eligibility has not been determined, the county should process eligibility for General Assistance (GA).


Refugees under the age of 18 may be eligible for GA with specific requirements if they meet 1 of the following conditions:

Not eligible to be included in an MFIP household.

Not living with a parent, stepparent, or legal custodian.

Legally emancipated. (A minor is considered emancipated if he/she has been married or has been declared by a court of competent jurisdiction to be legally emancipated.)

Living with an adult with the consent of the agency acting as legal custodian.

Living with an adult with the consent of a legal custodian and the agency.

For more information, see 0013.15.51 (GA Basis – People Under Age 18).


Any RCA applicant age 17 and below and who is not living with parent or eligible relative caregiver must comply with the provisions in their Social Services case plan. Their assistance standard would be $250 (GA).

RCA applicants age 18 or older who are WITHOUT a high school diploma may choose to:

Attend high school full time. This results in ineligibility for RCA. They may be eligible for GA benefits if they meet the GA basis of eligibility for English Not Primary Language in 0013.15.48 (GA Basis - English Not Primary Language) and are in compliance with schooling requirements. Follow the GA assistance standards in 0020.18 (GA Assistance Standards).

Do not require the applicant to choose only part time schooling to be eligible for the federally funded program rather than establishing GA eligibility.

Participate in RES activities and include part time school attendance in their employment plan. This would establish eligibility for RCA.

RCA applicants age 18 or older who have a high school diploma or GED and choose to attend school full time are NOT eligible for RCA.

Rate/Report this pageReport/Rate this page

© 2018 Minnesota Department of Human Services Updated: 3/1/17 10:23 AM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 3/1/17 10:23 AM