Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services Combined Manual
Advanced Search|  


ISSUE DATE: 01/2018

Provisions for replacing benefits apply to participants, vendors, and protective payees.


Benefits accessed with an EBT card and correct PIN (personal identification number) are not replaceable.


A direct deposit transaction will ONLY be replaced if the bank notifies DHS of a reject. All replacement of direct deposit will be done by DHS staff. The procedure for this replacement is:

The bank will notify DHS of a direct deposit reject.

DHS staff will remove current direct deposit information on the case, notify county worker of reject and request method of replacement.

DHS will NOT replace benefits as direct deposit.


A client requesting replacement warrant(s) must file a Non-Receipt/Replacement Affidavit (DHS-1609) (PDF) with the county agency. A vendor or alternative payee requesting replacement warrant(s) must file an Affidavit of Failure to Receive Warrant (for Vendors/Payees) (DHS-1609A). They must state why they need a replacement (for example: lost in the mail, never received, or destroyed). If you can prove a warrant went back to the Issuance Operations Center (IOC) or has stale dated, do not require an affidavit.

County agencies may require clients to file a police report if the request for replacement is for a lost, stolen, or destroyed warrant.

If the warrant has been cashed, request copies of the warrant(s) following procedures outlined in TEMP Manual TE02.11.01 (Request Copy of Cashed Warrant or Repl One). Have the client view the signatures on the warrant and complete the Affidavit Covering Endorsement of a State of Minnesota Warrant (DHS-5303) (PDF) in the presence of the county fraud investigator. All cashed warrants must be replaced by DHS.

A county may or may not require an indemnity bond for checks it issues. If it requires a bond, it must require one of anyone requesting a county replacement check. Counties may not require an indemnity bond for state warrant replacements.

Do not replace a warrant when you can document that the request for replacement is fraudulent. Give people written notice of denial. See 0025.24 (Fraudulently Obtaining Public Assistance). If you suspect the request to be fraudulent, but cannot document the fraud, replace the warrant and refer the case for investigation.

Replace a warrant no more than 7 calendar days after the person reports it as stolen, lost, or destroyed (and there is no fraudulent intent). Do not replace a warrant the person reports as not received until 5 mailing days after issuance. However, do not wait 5 days when you can show worker error caused the benefit to go to the wrong address, and the person cannot get the warrant at the incorrect address.

Replacement warrants have a different number than the original, and states that they are replacement warrants.

Do not deny cash replacement solely because of multiple losses.

When people do not live in the county of financial responsibility, the servicing county must replace warrants. See 0006 (Determining Financial Responsibility).

For replacing the food portion of MFIP, follow the SNAP provisions.


Follow MFIP, EXCEPT the reference to replacement of the food portion of MFIP does not apply.


Replace benefits only under specific conditions. See 0024.06.03 (Situations Requiring SNAP Benefit Replacement). Replace food destroyed in a disaster if SNAP EBT or cash-out money purchased it. See 0024.06.03.15 (Replacing Food Destroyed in a Disaster).

In some instances, there is a limit to the number of times the county agency may replace benefits. Units must also report the loss to the county agency (either orally or in writing) within certain time frames. See 0024.06.03 (Situations Requiring SNAP Benefit Replacement) for more information.

Most units requesting replacement must come into the county agency and sign a Non-Receipt/Replacement Affidavit (DHS-1609) (PDF). Units must complete the DHS-1609 to get replacements unless you can verify that a warrant has been returned to the IOC or has stale dated.

Counties may mail the DHS-1609 when clients are unable to come into the county agency office because:

Of their age, a disability, or transportation problems.


They are unable to appoint an authorized representative. See 0005.06 (Authorized Representatives).

Unless there is documentation showing possible fraud, issue authorized replacement benefits within 10 calendar days after the unit reports benefits not received, destroyed, etc., or within 2 working days of completing the DHS-1609, whichever is later. Do not replace other warrant benefits reported as not received until 5 mailing days after issuance. The only EXCEPTION to the 5- or 6-day wait is when you can verify that worker error caused the benefit to go to the wrong address and the client will not be able to get the benefit at the incorrect address.

Follow MFIP procedures to replace cash-out warrants.

Inform clients of the right to appeal a denial or delay of a replacement. See 0027 (Appeals).

Rate/Report this pageReport/Rate this page

© 2018 Minnesota Department of Human Services Updated: 1/2/18 7:43 AM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 1/2/18 7:43 AM