Frequently Asked Questions for Child Care Centers Parents

Q: What can I do if I have a concern about something that happened in a licensed child care center?

A: If you believe possible violations of Minnesota Statutes or Rules that govern child care centers occurred or you have a question about whether or not something is a violation, you should call the Department of Human Services, Licensing Division’s Child Care Center Licensing Unit at (651) 431-6500 where there is a licensor on call between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday.

All reports concerning suspected abuse or neglect of children occurring in a licensed facility should be made to the Department of Human Services, Licensing Division’s Maltreatment Intake line at (651) 431-6600.

Reports regarding incidents of suspected abuse or neglect of children occurring within a family or in the community should be made to the local county social services agency or local law enforcement.

Q: How can I get information about any previous violations found at a particular child care center?

A: DHS Licensing Information Lookup is an online search tool that you can use to search the Minnesota Department of Human Services’ licensing information database. You can search licensed child care centers by name, license number, city, county, or ZIP code.

The information available through this website will include the programs contact information, the ages and number of children the program is licensed to serve, and licensing actions and decisions, including correction orders.

Documents are posted in accordance with the requirements of the Minnesota Government Data Practices Act, Minnesota Statutes, section 13.46.

New licensing documents are posted daily on DHS Licensing Information Lookup. You can sign up to receive daily emails with links to newly published documents.

Q: What are the regulations that licensed child care centers need to follow?

A: Licensed child care centers are regulated by both Rule and Statutes.

Rule 3: Minnesota Rules, parts 9503.0005 to 9503.0170 – Licensure of Child Care Centers.

Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 245A - Human Services Licensing Act. Some key areas of this law that child care centers must follow include:

  • • Experienced aides, attendance records (245A.14)
  • • Infant sleep requirements in 245A (245A.1435)
  • • Reporting notification (245A.145)
  • • Crib safety requirements (245A.146)
  • • Training requirements (245A.40)
  • • Risk reduction plan requirements (245A.66)
  • Minnesota Statutes, Chapter 245C - Human Services Background Studies Act

    Minnesota Statutes, section 626.556 -Maltreatment of Minors Act

    Q: Are there any resources available to help me choose a child care center for my child?

    A: Minnesota’s Parent Aware website has many useful tools for parents including an assessing quality checklist, Parent Aware Star Rating information, and program accreditation information.

    Q: Are child care programs required to take children outside every day?

    A: Child care centers are required to provide daily indoor and outdoor activities for children in care. Extreme Minnesota weather conditions can present challenges for child care providers as they plan for outdoor play time. Centers are encouraged to educate staff on the dangers of exposing children to extreme temperatures and plan accordingly. One useful resource is the Child Care Weather Watch, a guide based on wind-chill and heat index information from the National Weather Services to assist child care providers in understanding weather conditions when planning outdoor activities for children.

    Child Care Program Plan Requirements in Rule 3 (9503.0045, subpart 1, item I)

    Rate/Report this page Report/Rate this page