Elderly Waiver Program

EW Fact Sheet DHS-5357(PDF)

What is the Elderly Waiver Program?

The Elderly Waiver (EW) program funds home- and community-based services for people age 65 and older who are eligible for Medical Assistance (MA) and require the level of care provided in a nursing home but choose to reside in the community. The Minnesota Department of Human Services operates the EW program under a federal waiver to Minnesota’s Medicaid State Plan. Counties, tribal entities and health plan partners administer the program.

What types of services are available?

Covered services include:

  • • Adult day service
  • • Case management
  • • Chore services
  • • Companion services
  • • Consumer-directed community supports
  • • Home health aides
  • • Home-delivered meals
  • • Homemaker services
  • • Licensed community residential services (customized living services / 24-hour customized living services, family and corporate foster care, residential care)
  • • Environmental accessibility adaptations
  • • Personal care
  • • Respite care
  • • Skilled nursing
  • • Specialized equipment and supplies
  • • Personal Emergency Response Systems
  • • Training and support for informal caregivers
  • • Transitional supports
  • • Nonmedical Transportation
  • Who is eligible?

  • • Those eligible for the Elderly Waiver (EW) program are 65 or older, eligible for Medical Assistance and need nursing home level of care as determined by the Long-Term Care Consultation process.
  • • The EW service cost for an individual cannot be greater than the estimated nursing home cost for that same individual. The person chooses to receive home and community-based services instead of nursing facility services.
  • How many people? How many dollars?

    Updated information on the Elderly Waiver Program is provided in a fact sheet.

    What alternatives exist for people who are eligible for EW?

    Probable alternatives include Medicaid-certified skilled nursing facilities and certified board-and-care homes.

    Where can I learn more about the EW program?

    The EW program is described in Minnesota Statutes 256B.0915 and in a fact sheet.

    Where can I learn more about managed care for seniors?

    More information about managed care for seniors is on the DHS website.

    How can I enroll?

    Contact your county or tribe for a long-term care consultation. If you are already on Medical Assistance and enrolled in a health plan you should contact your health plan.

    How do I obtain more information as a provider of home- and community-based services?

    See the Elderly Waiver and Alternative Care chapter of the Minnesota Health Care provider manual.

    Call the Senior LinkAge Line® at (800) 333-2433 for more information about the program or go to www.MinnesotaHelp.info, an online directory of services designed to help people in Minnesota identify resources such as human services, information and referral, financial assistance, and other forms of aid and assistance within Minnesota.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links