Child Support Court orders to establish parentage

If you have a child support case, the child support agency may:

  • Order genetic tests to determine the biological father of the child
  • Ask that the court determine parentage and support.
  • If a child support case is not open:

  • You (or the other party) can ask the court to establish the legal father of your child. See the Minnesota Judicial Branch Self-Help Center for more information.
  • You can represent yourself in court or have an attorney represent you. The court may provide an attorney if you cannot afford to hire one
  • You (or the other party) can apply for child support( IV-D) services and have the child support agency help you.

  • Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links