People who are not U.S. Citizens

Health care > Who is eligible

Program FAQs
Other health care resources

Contact us

If you are not a U.S. citizen, you may be able to get coverage if you meet program rules. The coverage you can get depends on your immigration status and the date you came to the United States.

  • • Some women may only get coverage while they are pregnant.
  • • Some people may only get coverage for a health care emergency.
  • • Some people may get full coverage.

  • What do you need to know about my immigration status?
    We may need proof of your immigration status. We will try to help if you need help getting proof. You do not have to give us proof of your status if you are:

  • • Applying for coverage for emergency medical care only
  • • Pregnant
  • • Applying for your children or other family members but not yourself (we may need proof of status for children or others applying)
  • • Only helping someone else apply.

  • Can I get coverage if I am visiting or do not have documentation?
    Yes. You may get coverage for a medical emergency or a chronic condition which, if left untreated, could cause serious harm. Emergency care may include doctor visits, hospital care, prescriptions, mental health care and other needed services. Your doctor may need to give us information for you to get this coverage.

    Will you report me to U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement if I am here without documentation?
    No. We only use your information to see if you can get coverage.

    What is the income limit?
    Adults and children have different income limits. The income limit and whose income is counted depend on your age, family size, and pregnancy or disability status.

    Can I get coverage if I have a house, car, bank accounts or other assets?
    Yes, the home you live in and a car are usually not counted toward the asset limit. Children and most adults under 65 do not have a limit on the value of items they own when deciding if you qualify.

    Do you count my sponsors’ income and assets?
    If you have a sponsor, we may need to count their income and assets. If the sponsor is married, we may also count their spouse’s income and assets.

    What does coverage cost?
    You may have to pay a monthly premium. The amount, if any, depends on your income and family size. Adults also may have copays for some services. Children and pregnant women do pay premiums or have copays.

    When can coverage start?
    Coverage may start:

  • • The first day of the month we get your application,
  • • Up to three months before the month we get your application, or
  • • The month after you are approved, or pay your first premium if you have one.

  • Can I qualify if I have other health insurance?
    You may still qualify. You must tell us if you have other health insurance or could get coverage through an employer or military service. Sometimes we can pay the cost of the other insurance so you can keep that coverage.

    Pregnant women who do not have documentation cannot qualify if they are currently enrolled in other health care coverage.

    What if I do not qualify and still need coverage?
    You may qualify for coverage of family planning services only. You may also qualify for an Advanced Premium Tax Credit (APTC) to help pay for insurance through Minnesota’s health insurance marketplace, MNsure. An APTC helps pay part or all of the health care premium. Even if you do not qualify for an APTC, you can compare and buy affordable health insurance. You cannot be denied coverage even if you have a pre-existing condition.

    Contact us
    (651) 431-2670 (Twin Cities metro area) or
    (800) 657-3739 (outside Twin Cities metro area)
    TTY: (800) 627-3529 or 711

    Addresses and phone numbers for county offices
    MinnesotaCare contact information

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page