Child Support - Job loss and child support

What you need to know

  • Some parents experience circumstances that make them unable to pay their child support obligation. For example, parents who have been laid off may not be able to meet their child support obligations. What should you do?.
  • Contact your Child Support Agency

  • By law, you must tell your Child Support Agency within 10 days if your income changes, Call your county worker if you:
  • Lose your job
  • Get a new job
  • Change jobs.
  • County child support officers phone numbers and addresses are available on Minnesota Child Support Online, the Child Support Information Line, or from the County Contacts page.

  • If you are unable to contact your Child Support Officer, call the state child support office for help at 651-431-4400.
  • Your court order continues after a job loss

    The child support you owe is court-ordered. Only a court order can change the amount you are already court-ordered to pay. A monthly child support obligation does not automatically stop when the source of income ends. You must modify your child support order if you wish to reduce or increase the charging amount. It takes a new court order to change the existing court order.

    Receiving unemployment benefits

    Sometimes unemployment benefits take a while before they start. Your next child support payment may be due before you get your first unemployment check. If your employer withheld payments from your paycheck, the Department of Economic and Employment Development (DEED) may withhold child support payments from your unemployment insurance checks.

  • Your unemployment benefits may be less than the amount your employer paid you. DEED may not be able to withhold the full amount you owe each month due to the Consumer Credit Protection Act. If DEED withholds less than the amount you are court-ordered to pay, you are still responsible for the unpaid amount of your child support obligation.
  • Consequences for not paying child support

  • If you pay part of what you owe or you do not pay the child support you owe, the child support agency may use enforcement remedies to collect the amount you owe including:
  • Intercepting any federal or state income and property tax refunds
  • Intercepting any federal or state economic stimulus payment
  • Denying student grant payments for higher education
  • Charging interest on the child support arrears
  • Reporting the amount you owe to the national credit reporting agencies
  • Suspending your driver, occupational, or recreational licenses
  • Denying your passport application or renewal.
  • Additional Resources

    If your circumstances have changed, nformation about these topics may help.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links