Completing an Inter-county CCAP physical case file transfer

The following checklist can be used when transferring and receiving cases between counties. The checklist contains the steps that may need to take place when a case is transferred. Individual case circumstances may require additional or fewer steps depending on the case situation. Communication between the transferring and receiving counties is very important to ensure a smooth transition for the client without interruption in benefits or service.

Transferring County Responsibilities:

Getting the Physical Case Ready for Transfer

• Process any redetermination’s received prior to the transfer of the physical case. Process any outstanding PARIS interstate matches that may be outstanding. Resolve any edits and alerts that can be cleared. • The physical case file should include all verifications and documentation required for current eligibility, as well as verifications and documentation required for past eligibility that must be retained per county retention policy.• If notification of the address change comes via an MEC² Alert, check the address window to see if the new address has already been verified. If questions contact the MAXIS worker. If the CCAP worker is the first to be notified of the address change a Verification Request form should be sent requesting verification of the new address. (See Verification of new address at end of document)• Enter case notes of completed and outstanding work on the case. Case notes should include information pertinent to case. • The physical case file can be sent to the new county once the family contact date has been entered on the transfer window. If no contact date has been entered the physical case should be sent at least 15 working days before the new county takes financial responsibility. If the family does not contact the new county, the new county should transfer the case back.• If the case is an MFIP child care case send the physical case file to the new county at the same time that the MFIP file is sent to the new county. Separate the child care case from the MAXIS case. • The case should be sent via interoffice mail to the person that each county has designated to receive CCAP case transfers.

Receiving County Responsibilities:

Accepting the physical case file

• The person that receives the physical incoming CCAP case file should check the Transfer Window to see if a worker has been assigned and give the physical case to that worker. If no worker has been assigned they should contact the county staging worker.• The worker should resolve any issues related to the physical file being received in unsatisfactory condition or physical case not being received by the unitary residency end date.• The worker should read Case Notes to become familiar with the case and communicate with worker in the previous county during period of unitary residency as needed. • If applicable, send a referral to the Employment Service provider and financial worker in your county unless the client is exempt. • If additional information or verifications are needed from the family, send a Verification Request Special Letter to request the information.

Inactive Case

• When a county takes a new application they should verify on MEC² if there was a previous CCAP application/case. The county should contact the previous county and request the physical file. If a county would like a specific phone number or email address indicated as a contact for requests for inactive cases they can send this information to their CCAP technical liaison.

For other system information on transfers see the transfer procedures in MEC² User Manual.

Things to know:

• If the case has closed and requires a new application, the application should be taken in the county of the family’s current residence. However, when a case closes and the family reapplies within 30 days, that case remains the financial responsibility of the county from which the family moved until they have lived in the new county for two full calendar months. * A request to send the physical file should be made to the previous county. • If a family contact date is not entered, the case will close the date the FRA should have changed. * The physical case should remain at the moved from county until a new application is made.

Verification of new Address:

For a non-MFIP child care case (BSF, TY, TYE) the transferring county needs to verify the address as they will continue to service the case.

For an MFIP child care case verification needs to be entered, but it may be “Other”. The MFIP and CCAP units in the county should determine what will be required for verification of address for a transferring MFIP and MFIP CC case and should document whether they have collected the appropriate verification and provide the information to the receiving county.

From the CCAP Policy Manual:

The Child Care Assistance Program requires verification of certain information. Families have the primary responsibility to verify information. When you need non-public information for proof, families must get documents themselves or give you written permission to contact 3rd parties to verify their statements.

Any form of verification is acceptable if it confirms the client’s statement. Do not demand a specific document or form of verification if another is more readily available. Sources of verification include:

• Written records or documents.• Written or oral statements from people outside the family.• Safe At Home Identification Card for participants in the Safe At Home (SAH)Program. For more information on the Safe At Home Program.

Providing proof is the responsibility of the client. However, you must help clients who have trouble getting proof. Clients must either provide necessary proof or give their written consent for you to get the information.

When proof is not available despite the efforts of you and the client, get a signed statement from the client attesting to the correctness of the information. Deny or end assistance to people who refuse or deliberately fail to help verify information.

See the system information section of this document for more information on when and how to enter the new address on the system.

Transfer of Claims:

Claims on an open case will be handled through recoupment so the claim will be transferred with the case. If a client with a claim moves between counties and remains eligible for CCAP, recoupment continues. Once the new county is responsible for administering the case, they are also responsible for administering the recoupment.

If a client with a claim moves between counties, remains eligible and then at a later point in time becomes ineligible, the recovery method would shift from recoupment to collections. The file should remain with the county that administers the claim.

Rate/Report this page Report/Rate this page