Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services PCA Manual
Advanced Search

Personal Care Assistance

Services outside Minnesota

Page posted: 11/04/13

Page reviewed:

Page updated:

Legal Authority

Minn. Stat. §256B.03 subd. 4


Persons may use PCA services outside of Minnesota within the United States if they meet all of the following criteria:

  • • Direct their own care or live with the responsible party while outside the state
  • • Have a current authorized service agreement
  • • Maintain enrollment in Minnesota Medical Assistance including all residency requirements
  • • Receive an annual assessment in the consumer’s permanent MN residence
  • • Temporarily live outside of the state of Minnesota for educational or training purposes, employment or vacation
  • Persons may not use PCA services outside of the United States.
  • PCA Provider Agency Responsibilities

    All providers must be enrolled with Minnesota Health Care Programs (MHCP) before providing PCA services. This includes:

  • • Agencies currently enrolled
  • • PCA/home health providers in other states who wish to enroll
  • Providers must follow all MHCP enrollment requirements. This includes obtaining:

  • • Individual PCA identification numbers
  • • Background studies
  • The provider must agree to:

    1. Provide services outside of Minnesota
    2. Provide qualified professional services
    3. Assure all other program requirements are maintained

    Care plans must document:

  • • How the consumer’s needs will be met during the time out of state
  • • Emergency back up plans
  • Recipient Responsibilities

    The consumer must tell the provider they want to use PCA services outside the state before they leave the state.

    Rate/Report this page Report/Rate this page

    © 2015 Minnesota Department of Human Services is led by MN.IT Services
    Updated: 11/8/13 3:14 PM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 11/8/13 3:14 PM