Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services Community-Based Services Manual (CBSM)
Advanced Search|  

Independent living skills (ILS) BI therapies

Page posted: 10/1/03

Page reviewed: 12/26/13

Page updated: 5/26/17

Legal authority

Federally approved BI Waiver Plan


Independent living skills (ILS) brain injury therapies: Therapies with established goals and outcomes specified in the individual plan of care and not merely diversional in nature.

Covered services

ILS BI therapies cover the following therapies:

  • • Art
  • • Music
  • • Recreational.
  • Non-covered services

    ILS BI therapies do not cover services that duplicate other Minnesota state plan or waiver services.


    The person may receive ILS BI therapies provided in his/her home or in the community.

    Provider Standards and Qualifications

    ILS BI therapies are DHS enrollment-required services. For more information, see CBSM – Waiver/AC service provider overview.

    Additional requirements

    An ILS BI therapies provider must meet one of the following three sets of requirements:

    1. The provider:

  • • Is a graduate from a master's program or related program that meets National Association for Art Therapists standards
  • • Holds a current Art Therapy Certification through the Art Therapy Credentials Board.
  • 2. The provider:

  • • Is a graduate from a baccalaureate or master’s degree program that meets National Council for Therapeutic Recreation certification standards
  • • Holds a current Therapeutic Recreation Specialist certification through the National Council for Therapeutic Recreation Certification.
  • 3. The provider:

  • • Is a graduate from a baccalaureate or master’s program that meets American Music Therapy Association standards
  • • Holds a current board certification as a music therapist through the Certification Board for Music Therapists.
  • Authorization, rates and billing

    The lead agency authorizes ILS BI therapies at the market rate. For more information, see Long-Term Services and Supports (LTSS) Service Rate Limits, DHS-3945 (PDF).

    Additional resources

    CBSM – BI, CAC, CADI and DD waivers general process and procedures
    CBSM – ILS training

    Rate/Report this pageReport/Rate this page

    © 2018 Minnesota Department of Human Services Updated: 5/30/17 8:44 AM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 5/30/17 8:44 AM