Homelessness and housing programs

Providing safe shelter, housing, economic self-reliance

Homeless programs support street outreach, drop-in centers, shelters, and transitional housing programs operated by Community Action Agencies, tribal governments and other nonprofit organizations. These programs work to prevent homelessness, provide safe shelter, and assist homeless households in securing and maintaining stable, independent housing and economic self-reliance.

Programs receiving grant support from the Office of Economic Opportunity include:

  • • The Minnesota Transitional Housing Program (THP) provides housing assistance (at congregate facilities and scattered-site apartments) and support services to people who are homeless.
  • • The Emergency Services Program (ESP) funds the cost of providing shelter and support services to people who are homeless.
  • • The Emergency Solutions Grant (ESG) funds homeless prevention activities, rapid rehousing, and the operating and support service costs of shelter programs.
  • • The Homeless Youth Act (HYA) provides funding to non-profits that provide street outreach, drop-in centers, emergency shelter, transitional living programs and/or supportive housing for runaway, at-risk and homeless youth.
  • • The Safe Harbor Housing program provides funding to non-profits and Tribal Governments to provide a new set of programming specific to sex trafficked minors through specialized emergency shelter, transitional living, youth supportive housing programs and specialized foster care.
  • Programs receive funding from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) and the state of Minnesota. Funding is distributed through a biennial competitive grant process.

    DHS OEO is seeking proposals for Consolidated Homeless Program applications for the State Fiscal Year 2017-19 Biennium. For more information and to access the Request for Proposal (RFP) please reference the: Office of Economic Opportunity Request for Proposals Website

    For information regarding housing in your community, contact your local county government or Community Action Agency. Housing information can also be provided through the United Way 2-1-1 information line.

    Rate/Report this page Report/Rate this page