Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program - Employment and Training Program (SNAP - E and T)

Program info

The goal of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) employment and training program is to help people prepare for and become employed. Participants receive services from an employment services provider in their area, as assigned by the county.


Able-bodied SNAP participants between age 18 and 50 who do not receive cash benefits from other public assistance programs may be required to participate in SNAP E and T services.

People excused from participating include those who:

  • • Are caring for young children or an incapacitated household member
  • • Receive unemployment benefits
  • • Participant in a chemical dependency treatment program
  • • Work 30 or more hours per week
  • • Participate in an approved training program
  • • Have a permanent or temporary disability.
  • Services

    Each participant will attend an orientation to learn more about the program services. Then they will complete an individual assessment and an employability plan.
    Depending on needs, participants may take part in:

  • • Job-seeking training
  • • Group and individual job search activities
  • • Remedial literacy or other adult basic education
  • • English language training
  • • Short-term vocational or technical training
  • • Job placement.
  • If needed, help with transportation or other supportive services will be provided. If participants fail to comply with these program requirements, they are subject to sanctions and could temporarily or permanently lose food benefits.

    Learn more

    People who apply for cash and food assistance may be enrolled in this program if they do not qualify for other cash assistance programs.

    For more information, contact your local county human services office.

    Formal complaints

    The U.S Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

    If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at or at any USDA office, or call 866-632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax 202-690-7442 or email at

    Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339; or 800-845-6136 (En Espanol).

    For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at 800-221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at

    USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links