The Minnesota Food Assistance Program

Program Info

The Minnesota Food Assistance Program (MFAP) provides food assistance to noncitizens age 50 or older who do not qualify for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP, formerly called Food Stamps) because of their citizenship status.


To qualify, you must meet all of the following:

  • • Be eligible for SNAP except for the U.S. citizenship requirement
  • • Be a qualified noncitizen or a noncitizen lawfully residing in the United States
  • • Live in Minnesota
  • • Not enrolled in the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP).
  • The program follows all of the policies and procedures of the SNAP program except for rules that make noncitizens ineligible. Income limits and deductions are the same as those used in the SNAP program.
  • Benefits

    The amount of monthly benefits your household can get is based on the income, expenses and number of people in your household. The amount is the same that you would get if you were eligible for SNAP. Benefits are issued through an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card. You use the card to purchase food at retailers that accept EBT. Read more about EBT cards (PDF).


    You can apply:

  • • Online at
  • • On paper using the Combined Application Form (PDF) - also available in Hmong (PDF), Russian (PDF), Somali (PDF), Spanish (PDF) and Vietnamese (PDF).
  • To get an application or for help completing it contact your local county human services agency (PDF).

    Call the SNAP Hotline at 651-431-4050 in the Twin Cities metro area or 800-657-3698 outside the metro area. For TTY service, call your preferred relay service.

    The U.S. Department of Agriculture prohibits discrimination against its customers, employees, and applicants for employment on the bases of race, color, national origin, age, disability, sex, gender identity, religion, reprisal, and where applicable, political beliefs, marital status, familial or parental status, sexual orientation, or all or part of an individual’s income is derived from any public assistance program, or protected genetic information in employment or in any program or activity conducted or funded by the Department. (Not all prohibited bases will apply to all programs and/or employment activities.)

    If you wish to file a Civil Rights program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, found online at, or at any USDA office, or call 866-632-9992 to request the form. You may also write a letter containing all of the information requested in the form. Send your completed complaint form or letter to us by mail at U.S. Department of Agriculture, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410, by fax 202-690-7442 or email at

    Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at 800-877-8339; or 800-845-6136 (Spanish).

    For any other information dealing with Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) issues, persons should either contact the USDA SNAP Hotline Number at 800-221-5689, which is also in Spanish or call the State Information/Hotline Numbers (click the link for a listing of hotline numbers by State); found online at

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links