Children under 21 who have disabilities or are blind

Health care > Who is eligible

Printable brochure (PDF)
Determining disability

Summary of covered services (PDF)

Program FAQs

Other resources for children with special needs
Other health care resources

Contact us

What do I need to show that my child has a disability or is blind?
To be considered disabled for state programs, your child must be certified disabled through the Social Security Administration or the State Medical Review Team.

What is the income limit?
The income limit and whose income is counted depend on your child’s age, what services your child needs, and who lives with you.

If my income is more than the limit, can my child still get coverage?
Yes, your child may still get coverage under one of these programs:

  • Medical Assistance -- TEFRA (for children under 18)
  • Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (must be at least age 16)
  • Home and community-based waiver programs (for children under 18)

  • Can my child get coverage if I have a house, car, savings or other assets?
    Yes, children under 21 do not have asset limits.

    What will coverage cost?
    There will be no cost for many children. Some may have a spenddown, monthly premium or parental fee, depending on what program your child is eligible for. Children do not have copays.

    When will coverage start?
    After your child is approved, coverage may:

  • • Go back to the date your application was received, or
  • • Go back three months from the date your application was received.

  • Call your county office if you have questions about when coverage can start.

    What if my child has other health insurance?
    Your child may still get coverage. You must tell us if your child has other health insurance or could be covered by someone else’s insurance. Sometimes we can pay the cost of the other insurance so you can keep that coverage.

    Contact us

    (651) 431-2670 (Twin cities metro area) or
    (800) 657-3739 (Outside Twin cities metro area)
    TTY: (800) 627-3529 or 711
    Addresses and phone numbers for county offices

    Disability Linkage Line®
    at (866) 333-2466

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page