People with disabilities who are employed

Heath care > Who is eligible

Printable brochure (PDF)
Determining disability

Program FAQs

Managed care for people with disabilities

MN Disability Benefits 101 website

Work Incentives Connection

Social Security disability benefits

Medicare website

Contact us

Working people with disabilities who have too much income or assets to qualify for regular Medical Assistance may get coverage under a program called Medical Assistance for Employed Persons with Disabilities (MA-EPD).

To qualify, you must:

  • • Be certified disabled by either the Social Security Administration or the State Medical Review Team before the age of 65
  • • Be employed and have Social Security and Medicare taxes paid or withheld
  • • Have monthly earnings of more than $65.

  • What is the income limit?
    There is no income limit for this program.

    Can I qualify for coverage if I have a house or car?
    Yes. Usually the home you live in and a car do not count toward the asset limit.

    Can I qualify for coverage if I have savings, a retirement account or other assets?
    Yes, but there is an asset limit. Retirement accounts may not be counted the same as other assets.

    What does coverage cost?
    Most people pay a monthly premium. The premium is based on your income and who lives with you. The MA-EPD premium estimator on the MN Disability Benefits 101 website gives you an idea of what you may pay. You may also have copays for some services. American Indian enrollees do not pay a premium.

    When does coverage start?
    You must pay your premium or give proof of your American Indian status before your coverage starts. Coverage may go back three months from the date we get your application.

    Call your county office if you have questions about when coverage can start.

    Can I qualify if I have Medicare or other health insurance?
    You may still get coverage. You must tell us if you:

  • • Have other health insurance
  • • Can be covered under someone else’s insurance
  • • Can get coverage through an employer or military service.

  • Sometimes we help pay the cost of your Medicare or other insurance so you can keep the coverage.

    Contact us

    Disability Linkage Line® (866)-333-2466
    MN Disability Benefits 101 website

    Addresses and phone numbers for county offices

    TTY: (800) 627-3529 or 711

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page