Child Support Closing a Case

Child support cases do not automatically close when a child turns 18 or emancipates. Federal law allows the child support office to close a case under certain conditions. In general, cases are closed when all of the following are true:

  • An obligation ends and all support is paid
  • The person who applied for child support services asks for the case to be closed
  • Cases with children receiving public assistance
  • Nonpublic assistance cases
  • Your responsibilities if you close your case
  • Applying for income withholding-only (Non-IV-D) services
  • Reapplying for full (IV-D) child support services
  • Cases with children receiving public assistance

    The county will continue to collect public assistance arrears until they are paid in full. Parents cannot close their case if their children receive public assistance from:

    Closing a case for children not receiving public assistance

    If your children do not currently receive public assistance, you can ask the agency to close your case by either:

  • Calling your county worker
  • Completing the Request to Close Child Support Case (DHS-4060) (PDF) form and mailing it to your county worker
  • Sending a written request to your county worker including:
  • The date
  • Your full name
  • Your case number
  • Your signature.
  • Closing a case when support is still owed

    Closing a full (IV-D) child support case is an important decision. If you close your case when child support is still owed, you will be responsible for collecting all child support that the other parent owes to you.. We encourage you to review the services that the child support office provides to both obligees and obligors before asking your worker to close your case.

    The child support office will no longer collect support or provide any services, including income withholding. If you close your case:

  • You are responsible for any actions needed to collect, enforce or modify your support.
  • The obligor must pay the obligee directly.
  • You must keep track of the amount owed and paid for each month.
  • Both parents must file their own motions for activities such as cost-of-living adjustments and modifications.
  • All court actions must be heard in district court.
  • If you receive child support payments on a stored value card, you will need to contact US Bank to close the card after all of the funds are used.

    Applying for income withholding-only (Non-IV-D) services

    If you close a full service case, either parent can apply for income withholding-only services.

    Reapplying for full (IV-D) child support services

    Either parent can reapply for full services at any time. You may have to pay a $25 application fee and pay a cost recovery fee for child support services.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links