Health Care > How to apply
The information below may help you decide if you should apply for MinnesotaCare or Medical Assistance.
|• You do not pay a monthly premium for coverage.
• Coverage may go back three months from when we get your application or written request for coverage.
• You can have other health insurance, even if it is through an employer.
• If you have other health insurance, MA may pay your premium.
• If your MA ends, you can get coverage again whenever you meet the program rules.
|• Some family members whose income is more than the income limit for MA may qualify for MinnesotaCare. Income limits for MinnesotaCare are higher. There is no income limit for children under 21.
• Most people must pay a monthly premium
• If your household must pay a premium, coverage begins the month after you pay your first premium. If your household does not have to pay a premium, coverage starts the first day of the month after your coverage is approved.
• You must be without other insurance coverage for four months before you can qualify. This does not apply to some children.
• You cannot have access to health insurance through an employer who pays half or more of the premium. This does not apply to some children.
Addresses and phone numbers for county offices
MinnesotaCare contact information
Report/Rate this page