Skip To: Main content|Subnavigation|
Minnesota Department of Human Services Community-Based Services Manual (CBSM)
DHS Home CountyLink Home Manuals Home Bulletins
Advanced Search
Show/Hide Table of Contents  

Habilitation services – residential

Page posted: 2/3/05

Page reviewed:

Page updated: 7/31/18

Legal authority

Federally approved DD Waiver Plan, Minn. Stat. §245B.02, subd. 20, Minn. Stat. §245D.02, Minn. R. 9525.1800, Minn. R. 9525.1860, Minn. R. 9525.2000 to 9525.2140


Residential habilitation: Services provided to a person who cannot live in his/her home without such services or who needs outside support to remain in his/her home. Habilitation services are provided in the person’s residence and in the community, and should be directed toward increasing and maintaining the person’s physical, intellectual, emotional and social functioning.

Types of habilitation

Residential habilitation services include in-home family support and supported living services (SLS).

In-home family support

In-home family support on the DD Waiver are services provided to a person and his/her family (including extended family members who do provide licensed foster care) in the family’s home and/or in the community to enable the person to remain in or return to the home. This includes training of the person and family members to increase their capabilities to care for and maintain the person in the home.


For information about in-home family supports on the BI, CAC and CADI waivers, see CBSM – In-home family supports (BI, CAC and CADI).

SLS for people under age 18

Supported living services are provided to people under age 18 who require daily staff intervention due to severe behavior problems, medical conditions, physical deficits and/or lack of adequate survival skills that result in the family’s inability to maintain him/her in the home. To access SLS for a person under age 18, the person must live in one of the following:

  • • Family-style home with no more than three other people
  • • Outside of the biological or adoptive home
  • • Where the home allows for community integration.
  • SLS for people age 18 and older

    Supported living services are provided to an adult who requires daily staff intervention due to behavior problems, medical conditions, physical deficits and/or lack of adequate survival skills. SLS for adults may be provided in a/an:

  • • Adult foster care home
  • • Community
  • • Person’s own place of residence.
  • SLS for adults in their own home – service delivery methods

    Adults in their own home who receive SLS may receive direct support in person or remotely when it meets the criteria of the remote support policy for delivery of SLS. When a person receives remote support, in-person support must be scheduled a minimum of once a week. A person may receive in-person support and remote support on the same day.

    For more information about remote support, see CBSM – Remote support – Individualized home supports and supported living services for adults in own home.

    Covered services

    Payment for residential services is limited to services actually provided to an eligible recipient. For more information, see CBSM – Reimbursement for overhead expenses due to residential absence.

    This includes assistance with acquisition, retention and improvement in skills such as:

  • • Bed making and household chores
  • • Eating and the preparation of food
  • • Personal grooming and cleanliness
  • • Social and adaptive skills necessary to enable the individual to reside in a non-institutional setting.
  • Examples of services include:

  • • Communication
  • • Community participation and mobility
  • • Health care, leisure and recreation
  • • Household chores
  • • Interpersonal skills
  • • Money management
  • • Reduction or elimination of maladaptive behavior
  • • Sensory and motor development.
  • Non-covered services

    In addition to non-covered services under habilitation, residential habilitation services do not cover:

  • • Cost of facility maintenance, upkeep and improvement, other than such costs for modifications or adaptations to a facility required to assure the health and safety of residents
  • • Room and board
  • • To meet the requirements of the applicable life safety code.
  • Secondary information

    The unpaid caregiver must provide habilitation services to the person when using the respite or homemaker service and there is no other residential habilitation service. The training does not need to occur while the respite or homemaker is being provided. Respite and homemaker services are not a residential habilitation services.

    Size and location

    Supported living services (SLS) for adults and children are only reimbursable at one home when provided in single-family homes or multiplex homes on adjoining properties when the homes are owned or leased by a single license holder. A multiplex is considered a home for purposes of this language. Examples include, but are not limited to:

  • • Apartment complexes
  • • Condominiums
  • • Town homes
  • • Twin-homes.
  • Services provided in licensed SLS’s occupying both sides of a duplex or town home are reimbursable because the living units are all under one roof. Services provided to licensed SLS’s on adjoining property could be reimbursed if there are different license holders for the properties.

    When single-family homes or multiplex homes on adjoining properties are owned or leased by a single license holder, services provided are only reimbursable through this waiver at one of the homes.

    Services provided in a living setting on the same property as an institution are not reimbursable through this waiver unless the waiver service in the setting was established before July 1, 2002, and there was no break in waiver services at the setting.

    Provider standards and qualifications

    Residential habilitation services are DHS enrollment-required services. For more information, see CBSM – Waiver/AC service provider overview.

    License requirements

    A residential habilitation service provider must have a license under Minnesota Statutes, chapter 245D as an intensive support service provider. A providers licensed under 245D must report all uses of controlled procedures, emergency use of manual restraint and prohibited procedures according to Minn. Stat. 245D.06, subd. 5 to DHS via the Behavioral Intervention Report Form DHS-5148 (PDF).

    Authorization, rates and billing

    Residential habilitation services are framework services. The lead agency uses the Rate Management System (RMS) to determine rates. For more information, see CBSM – Rate Management System and Long-Term Services and Supports Service Rate Limits, DHS-3945 (PDF).

    The lead agency may only authorize the 15-minute and daily SLS rate on the same day if the service is delivered by different providers.

    Additional resources

    CBSM – BI, CAC, CADI and DD waivers general process and procedures
    CBSM – Habilitation

    CBSM – Homemaker

    CBSM – Host county notification

    CBSM – Remote support – Individualized home supports and supported living services for adults in own home

    CBSM – Respite care

    CBSM – Requirements for a person's own home

    Rate/Report this pageReport/Rate this page

    © 2019 Minnesota Department of Human Services Updated: 10/8/18 4:14 PM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page | Updated: 10/8/18 4:14 PM