People who want family planning coverage

Health care > Who is eligible

Printable brochure (PDF)
Other health care resources

Contact us

Who can get coverage for family planning services?
To get coverage, you:

  • • Must be between the ages of 15 and 50
  • • Must be a Minnesota resident
  • • Must be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen
  • • Cannot be pregnant
  • • Cannot be enrolled in Medical Assistance or MinnesotaCare
  • • Must meet the income limits.

  • What is the income limit?
    The income limit and whose income is counted depend on who lives with you. If you live with your parents, you do not have to give us information about your parents’ income.

    What services are covered?
    Covered services include family planning office visits and education:

  • • Various birth control methods
  • • Sterilizations
  • • Diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases found during a family planning visit.

  • The program does not pay for abortions.

    How much do I pay?
    There is no cost to you for these services if you qualify.

    When will my coverage start?
    You can go to a Family Planning Services (certified MFPP provider) and apply for short-term family planning coverage. This coverage starts right away and lasts until the end of the next month. To get coverage after that, you must apply. The clinic that gives you short-term coverage can help you. If you do not need services right away, you can apply online or print, complete and mail in a paper application (PDF).

    What if I am not 18-years-old?
    If you are between ages 15 and 18, you do not need anyone’s permission to apply for this program. We will not tell your parents or other family members if you get services. We can mail information you get from us to an address other than your home address if you want. Also, you do not need to tell us about other insurance you may have.

    How do I get more information or apply?
    Call the Minnesota Family Planning Program at 651-431-3480 or 888-702-9968 (toll free), TTY users can call through Minnesota Relay at 711.
    To apply, you can:

  • Apply online
  • • Print out the paper application (PDF) and mail it in
  • • Go to a Family Planning Services (certified MFPP provider) who can help you apply.

  • Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page