Child Support – Payment information for parents

Once a parent has applied for services, all child support payments must come through the Minnesota Child Support Payment Center (CSPC).

Obligors should not send payments directly to the other parent when a child support agency is enforcing the order.

If the obligor pays the other parent directly:

  • • The obligor may not get credit for the payment
  • • The obligee must notify their child support officer and may be asked to send the payment to the Child Support Payment Center so it can be disbursed according to federal guidelines.
  • Accessing payment information
  • Receiving payments
  • Making payments
  • Applying payments to a case
  • Paying fees
  • Monthly billing statements
  • Questions about payments
  • Accessing payment information

    Parents can get up-to-the minute information about payments online or by telephone 24 hours a day, seven days a week. To access payment information, parents need their 10-digit participant number and personal identification number (PIN).. Information about the participant number and PIN is on Minnesota Child Support Online.

  • • Online
  • Minnesota Child Support Online is a secure website.
  • • Telephone
  • Child Support Information Line is a secure automated line.
  • For payment information call:
    651-431-4340 Twin Cities metro area
    1-800-657-3512 Outside the metro area

    TTY users call:
    651-431-4346 Twin Cities metro area
    888-234-1208 outside the metro area
    or use the Minnesota Relay at 711

    Receiving payments

    In most cases, the Child Support Payment Center sends the support collected and owed to the obligee within two (2) days. Funds collected through certain tax refund offsets may be held for up to six months to make sure the refund was properly intercepted.

  • • Custodial parents receive payments by direct deposit into a checking or savings account or stored value card account.
  • • Noncustodial parents receive refunds by check.
  • Making payments

    Most payments paid on cases come from employers through income withholding. IMPORTANT: If income withholding ends for any reason, the obligor is responsible to make the payments and send them to the Child Support Payment Center.

    Obligors who do not pay through income withholding may pay by automatic-recurring withdrawal (ARW), or mail: check, cashier’s check, or money orders sent to the Child Support Payment Center.

  • Obligors who pay by check, cashier's check or money order must identify their child support payment so that they get credit for
  • making the payment and the payment is applied to the correct case. Obligors should include their name on the payment and:
  • Identify payments with at least one number such as:

  • • Child support case number
  • • Participant or MCI number
  • • Social Security number
  • • Child support court order number

    Make checks payable to:
    Minnesota Child Support Payment Center

    Send payments to:
    Minnesota Child Support Payment Center
    P.O. Box 64326
    St. Paul, MN 55164-0326

    Do not send cash. Do not send payments to the other parent directly.

    Payments received at the Child Support Payment Center on Friday, Saturday or Sunday are issued the following Monday. Payments received the day before state holidays are issued the next business day.

    Applying payments to a case

    Federal and state regulations govern how payments are applied. The child support agency applies payments according to these rules:

  • • If an obligor owes support to more than one family, the state sends a portion of each payment it receives to each family.
  • • For each case, most payments collected during a month pay current support first. After current support is paid, other payments received that month pay arrears.
  • • If a family is on public assistance, an obligee may or may not receive child support payments.
  • Paying fees

    Sometimes child support services require a fee.

    • Cost recovery fee
    Parents who applied for services may be required to pay a cost recovery fee and other fees related to their case.

    • Federal annual fee
    The Federal Deficit Reduction Act of 2005 requires states to collect a $25 federal annual fee for eligible child support cases.

    • Non-IV-D services fee
    The obligor pays a monthly $15 fee for income withholding-only services.

    Billing statements

    The monthly billing statement is a report of money owed, including any interest charged, and money that the Child Support Payment Center (CSPC) received during the last month.

    Questions about payments

    Any questions about charges, payments, fees or how the state applies payments to a case should be directed to the county child support worker handling the case.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links