Child Support – Stored Value Card Account

The state office will deposit child support payments into stored value card accounts when:

  • • A parent requests it
  • • A parent does not sign up for direct deposit to a checking or savings account.
  • The stored value card account, also called ReliaCard, is offered through U.S. Bank®, not the state of Minnesota. The card carries the Visa® logo and is accepted anywhere Visa debit cards are accepted.

  • The ReliaCard Visa:
  • • Is a debit card, not a credit card
  • • Can be used to make purchases or withdraw cash. Parents can make cash withdrawals at ATM machines or get cash back with purchase at many merchants, including grocery stores
  • • Is for child support only. You cannot deposit other funds into this account.
  • Signing up for a ReliaCard Visa account
  • Card fees
  • Changing your direct deposit account
  • Closing your ReliaCard account
  • Moving outside the United States
    Questions about your ReliaCard Visa Account
  • Signing up for a ReliaCard Visa account

  • When a parent chooses to receive child support payments through a ReliaCard Visa account, the parent enters into a cardholder agreement with U.S. Bank.
  • To sign up for direct deposit to a ReliaCard Visa account, complete the Stored Value Card Authorization Form (DHS-4533) (PDF).
  • Parents who receive child support automatically qualify for this card. No credit check or bank account is needed.
  • Card fees

  • Although there is no fee for the card itself, U.S. Bank may charge fees on some stored value card account transactions, such as cash withdrawals, ATM withdrawals and overdrafts. U.S. Bank explains the fees on their cardholder agreement.
  • Changing your direct deposit account

  • Complete a Direct Deposit Authorization Form (DHS-3371) to change your direct deposit from a ReliaCard Visa account to your checking or savings account.
  • Closing your ReliaCard account

  • Parents who have a ReliaCard should notify U.S. Bank when:
  • • They no longer need the card because their payments are being deposited into a checking or savings account
  • • Their case closes. The child support agency does not automatically close the stored value card accounts when services end.
  • Moving outside of the United States

    U.S. Bank will not send the ReliaCard Visa to mailing addresses outside of the United States. Parents who live or move outside of the United States should contact their worker at the county child support agency..

    Questions about your ReliaCard Visa card or account

    Call U.S. Bank at 866-276-5114 with any questions about a ReliaCard Visa card or account.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links