Programs and services

SAMHSA Administrator Charles G. Curie noted "Behind these numbers are real children and adults impacted by drug use. Drug use continues to be a serious public health crisis that affects every aspect of our society. We must refuse to give up on people who have handed over their aspirations and their futures to drug use. People need to know help is available, treatment is effective and recovery is possible. This is the message of our Recovery Month observance."

Information and resources

Minnesota has resource centers that offer prevention services statewide. The services offered range from prevention materials and resources to guidance on access to treatment, with a few resource centers focusing on specific communities of people.

Minnesota has also dedicated funding to a variety of other prevention and treatment support projects (PDF) throughout the state.


According to a national survey, more than 4.6 million Americans who meet the criteria for needing treatment do not recognize they have a problem. Frequently it is family and friends of the person needing alcohol or drug treatment that identify the chemical abuse.

Chemical dependency is an illness that usually requires treatment. The best way to determine if someoneís use/abuse of chemicals requires treatment is to get a chemical dependency assessment through a professional. If you have talked to your family member or friend about seeking treatment and they are resistive, there are intervention professionals and resources that can help.

Where do you begin?

Many family members and friends of chemically dependent people may try to talk with the person about their chemical use and have been met with resistance. Oftentimes, family and friends try to connect with the person on different levels before going to a more formal resource, like an intervention. They call on friends and associates in their immediate surroundings to get information and discuss how to help their family member/friend. They may reach out to other resources, such as a school counselor, church pastor or coach to get help. When those options do not work, they turn to more formal approaches to get help.

DHS also funds programs that are designed to serve specific populations.

There are many places you can start: your physician, employee assistance programs, health plans, county, treatment facilities and information and referral services.

Employee Assistance Programs

If your employer has an employee assistance program, it is also a good resource to help you get started. Employee Assistance Programs (EAPs) are employer-sponsored, free, confidential counseling and referral services available to employees and their family members. EAPs are trained professionals who can provide you with information and referral to your health plan and community services. Check your employer's personnel handbook or staff to identify whether you have an EAP available to you and how to connect with it.

Health plan/insurance

If you have health insurance coverage, ask them about providers and services that are covered under your policy. Look on the back of your health insurance card for the number to the customer service department. They will provide you with a list of numbers for providers covered under your health plan.


In Minnesota, the county is responsible for providing public chemical dependency treatment services. County staff can help you identify where to begin and have staff knowledgeable about providers in your county and the services they provide.

Counties also offer publicly funded chemical dependency services. Counties contract with chemical dependency treatment providers to provide treatment on a sliding-fee scale. If you use one of the county providers, the charges for treatment will be reduced based on your ability to pay. For more information call your local county or tribe (PDF).

Telephone numbers for county Rule 25 assessments (PDF)

If you are a member of a federally recognized American Indian tribe in Minnesota, you can go to your county to receive services or you may contact your tribe about chemical dependency treatment.

Check the Minnesota Health Care Programs brochure (PDF) to find out if you may be eligible for public insurance. If you think you are eligible, print and complete a Minnesota Health Care Programs Application (PDF). Send the application to your county.

For people receiving Medical Assistance, Prepaid Medical Assistance Program or MinnesotaCare, information about provider referrals, prior authorization guidelines and contacts for chemical dependency services can be found on these forms in the Twin Cities metro (PDF) area or in Greater Minnesota (PDF).

Treatment facilities

Chemical Dependency Treatment Programs (Rule 31), residential treatment centers and outpatient treatment centers, can help answer questions and have specialists who can help get you connected with assessment services. If you would like to talk with a treatment facility to find out more information about assessments and treatment, please contact one of the Department of Human Services licensed facilities.

Information and referral services

Local social service agencies can help you access chemical dependency treatment services. (TM) is an information and referral provider that can help you find and connect with services.


No single treatment approach is appropriate for all individuals. Finding the right treatment program involves careful consideration. An assessment will provide recommendations for the treatment approach that will work best for you. Treatment services include inpatient facilities, outpatient programs, halfway houses, extended care, detoxification centers, mental health assessment/treatment and Alcoholics Anonymous or other support groups. U.S. Dept. Of Health and Human Services Behavioral Health treatment services locator

Family members and friends of chemically dependent people

There are programs and services for family members and friends of people who are chemically dependent. These programs can be formal, organized through treatment facilities, or can be more self-help, informal community-based programs.

Treatment facilities sometimes offer residential family program services. They are generally five- to seven-day programs that explore relationship issues common among families and friends who live with or care about a chemically dependent person. The programs are usually based on the principles of Al-Anon and strengthen an individualís skills to now build healthy relationships.

Also available to families and friends are community based self-help groups. Widely known programs include Family Anonymous, Al-Anon Family Groups and Co-Dependents Anonymous. These groups of people meet in the community, generally for an hour or more, and rely on the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions. The groupís main focus is to support one another in developing healthy relationships.

Compulsive gambling

The Adult Mental Health Division of the Department of Human Services oversees treatment services for people who have compulsive gambling problems. The division has a list of approved providers of compulsive gambling treatment who can provide treatment that is publicly reimbursed.

For more information about the Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division, email or call us at 651-431-2460.

Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

Related Pages

Related Links