|About DHS||Aging||Partners & Providers||Children||Disabilities||Economic Supports||Health Care||Publications||Licensing|
Adult Foster Care
Adult family foster care is a licensed, living arrangement that provides food, lodging, supervision, and household services. They may also provide personal care and medication assistance. Adult foster care providers may be licensed to serve up to four adults or five adults if all foster care residents are age 55 or older, have no serious or persistent mental illness nor any developmental disability.
There are two types of adult foster care:
Family Adult Foster Care is an adult foster care home licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services. It is the home of the license holder and the license holder is the primary caregiver.
The same foster care license requirements apply to both family and non-family homes.
Becoming a Provider
(1) Contact the adult foster care licensor in the county in which the home is located.
(2) Application for a license must be made on the application form issued by DHS and must be made in the county where the adult foster home is located.
(3) The applicant must be the individual or the authorized representative of the partnership, corporation, or government unit that will be the operator of the adult foster home.
(4) Separate licenses are required for each home, even if the residences are to be operated by the same operator.
(5) A Home Safety Checklist must be completed annually.
(6) Minnesota's Law for Building Safety Codes in Adult Foster Care homes must be met.
(7) A fire marshal must complete an inspection.
(8) An application for licensure is complete when the county adult foster care licensor submits all necessary forms and documentation to DHS and recommends that DHS issue a license.
(9) (Optional) If planning on serving individuals who need public funding to help pay for services, obtain a contract with the county human service or public health agency in the county in which the housing is located.
Foster Care Provider Liability
|© 2014 Minnesota Department of Human Services Online||Updated: 9/9/04 10:27 AM | Accessibility | Terms/Policy | Contact DHS | Top of Page ||