The Minnesota Food Assistance Program

The Minnesota Food Assistance Program (MFAP) was created by the 1998 Minnesota Legislature in response to federal law changes, which made certain noncitizens ineligible for federally funded Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (formerly called Food Stamps). MFAP uses state funds to replace the benefits lost when federal SNAP eligibility ended. MFAP is only available to noncitizens 50 years of age or older.

Eligibility criteria

To be eligible for MFAP, you must meet all of the following conditions:

  • • All eligibility conditions for SNAP except for U.S. citizenship requirements;
  • • Be a qualified noncitizen or a noncitizen lawfully residing in the United States;
  • • Reside in Minnesota; and
  • • Not be receiving assistance from the Minnesota Family Investment Program (MFIP).
  • Monthly benefits

    Participants receive the same amount of food assistance they would have been eligible for under the federally funded SNAP program. MFAP benefits are issued through an Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) card, which can be used to purchase food at retailers which accept EBT. More information on EBT cards (PDF) is available online.

    Program operations

    The program follows all of the program policies and procedures of the federally funded SNAP program except for provisions making noncitizens ineligible for benefits. Income, assets and property limits are identical to those used in the federally funded SNAP program.

    How to apply

    You can request MFAP by completing a Combined Application Form (CAF) (PDF) which is in 10 languages and submit it to your county human services agency (PDF). You may access county information on the state’s NorthStar website. You may also call the SNAP Hotline at 651-431-4050 in the Twin Cities metro area or 800-657-3698 in Greater Minnesota. For TTY service, call the Minnesota Relay at 711 or 800-627-3529.

    In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this institution is prohibited from discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, religion, political beliefs or disability.

    To file a complaint of discrimination write USDA, Director, Office of Adjudication, 1400 Independence Avenue, S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call 866-632-9992 (voice) or 800-877-8339 (TTY)or 800-845-6136 (Spanish). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links