Child Support Closing a Case

Child support cases do not automatically close when a child turns 18 or emancipates. Federal law allows the child support agency to close a child support case under certain conditions. In general, child support agencies close cases when:

  • an obligation ends, and all support is paid,
  • the person who applied for child support services requests their case be closed and
  • the case qualifies.
  • Cases receiving public assistance
  • Nonpublic assistance cases
  • Your responsibilities if you close your case
  • Applying for income withholding-only (Non-IV-D) services
  • Reapplying for full (IV-D) child support services
  • Cases receiving public assistance

    Parents cannot close their case if their children receive public assistance from:

    Nonpublic assistance cases

    If your children do not receive public assistance, you can ask the agency to close your case by:

  • calling your county worker,
  • completing the Request to Close Child Support Case (DHS-4060) (PDF) form and mailing it to your county worker, or
  • writing your request on a piece of paper and sending it to your county worker with:
  • the date
  • your full name
  • your case number
  • your signature
  • The county will continue to collect the public assistance arrears until they are paid in full.

    Your responsibilities if you close your case

    Closing a full (IV-D) child support case is an important decision. We encourage you to review the services that the child support agency provides to both obligees and obligors before asking your worker to close your case.

    The child support agency will no longer collect support or provide any services, including income withholding. If you close your case:

  • you are responsible for any actions necessary to collect, enforce or modify your support case
  • the obligor must pay the obligee directly
  • keep track of the amount owed and paid for each month
  • parties must file their own motions for activities such as cost-of-living adjustments and modifications
  • all court actions must be heard in district court.
  • Applying for income withholding-only (Non-IV-D) services

    Once the case is closed, either parent can apply for income withholding-only services.

    Reapplying for full (IV-D) child support services

    Either parent can reapply for full services at any time. You may have to pay a $25 application fee and pay a cost recovery fee for child support services.

    Rate/Report this page   Report/Rate this page

    Related Pages

    Related Links