Please note: this is not the most recent revision of this document.

All links to other documents have been disabled, as they may be out of date. This document is presented for historical purposes only.

Combined Manual


ISSUE DATE: 08/2014
Revision #6

Living in an institution does not always cause ineligibility. See 0014.09 (Assistance Units - Temporary Absence) for how temporary absences, including institutionalization, affect eligibility.

See 0011.21 (Receipt of Other Assistance) for eligibility for some residents of Rule 31 facilities.


Consider people who get more than 50% of their meals from an institution where they live to be residents of institutions.

Residents of institutions are ineligible for SNAP unless they live in:

Federally subsidized housing for the elderly.

Facility or treatment center for the purpose of regular participation in a drug or alcohol treatment and rehabilitation program. (Children living with their parents in a treatment facility are eligible if the parents are eligible.) However, people who participate only in a detoxification program are not eligible for SNAP while in the facility. For the definition of DRUG ADDICTION OR ALCOHOLIC TREATMENT AND REHABILITATION PROGRAM, see 0002.17 (Glossary – Displaced Homemaker…). Also see 0005.06 (Authorized Representatives), 0011.12.01 (Drug Addiction or Alcohol Treatment Facility).

Counties that receive applications from facilities that are unlicensed should contact the SNAP Program Manager at the MN Department of Human Services.

Group living arrangements for disabled or blind people who get:


Social Security disability (Title II).


Supplemental Security Income (Title XVI).


Social Security benefits under Title I, X, or XIV.


Minnesota Supplemental Aid (MSA).


Annuity payments under section 2(a)(1)(iv) or 2(a)(I)(v) of the Railroad Retirement Act of 1974.


General Assistance interim assistance or MA based on disability or blindness if the criteria to determine disability is as strict as that used by SSI.

Public or private residential facilities serving battered women and their children.

Public or private non-profit shelters for the homeless.


Students who do not receive over 50% of his/her meals from an institution such as a college/university, would NOT be considered automatically ineligible for SNAP due to living at the institution or not living at the institution. Review the SNAP eligibility criteria for students outlined in 0011.18 (Students).

Depending on the facility, people may apply on their own behalf or through an authorized representative. See 0005.06 (Authorized Representatives), 0014.03.06 (Determining the SNAP Unit).


Only the following people living in institutions are eligible:

People for whom MA pays the cost of care. This includes people in Regional Treatment Centers who have developmental disabilities as their primary diagnosis.

People in IMDs, EXCEPT for Regional Treatment Centers.

See 0020.21 (MSA Assistance Standards) for assistance standards for people living in institutions.

Some people may continue to get MSA while they are in an ineligible institution. See 0014.09 (Assistance Units - Temporary Absence).

People in group residential housing who meet an MSA basis of eligibility are income ineligible for MSA.


People living in penal institutions or admitted as inpatients to licensed hospitals are ineligible. GA participants are eligible through the end of the month they enter the institution or are admitted to the hospital.


People who live in 1 of the following establishments may be eligible for GRH payment if the county agency has a GRH agreement with the provider and the participant meets other GRH eligibility criteria:

An establishment licensed by the Minnesota Department of Health as a:


Hotel and restaurant.



Boarding and lodging establishment.



Non-certified boarding care home.



Supervised living facility.

An establishment registered with the Minnesota Department of Health as a housing with services that provides 3 meals a day.

An establishment licensed by DHS as a family or corporate adult foster home.

Some people may continue to get GRH while they are in another living arrangement. See 0014.09 (Assistance Units - Temporary Absence).

© 2018 Minnesota Department of Human Services
Updated: 8/1/14 7:12 AM