Assessors in the county of residence complete PCA assessments in person when:
• A change in condition during the past year resulted in increased PCA services
• PCA services are requested for the first time
• Person is using the PCA Choice option or Consumer Support Grant (CSG)
• Person needs increased services beyond a 45-day temporary increase of services authorization
DHS also recommends that face-to-face assessments occur:
• Annually for children as the age-appropriate dependencies for children change as they grow
• When there has been a change in responsible party since the last face-to-face assessment
Complete face-to-face assessments in either the:
• Institution when planning the discharge of a person to their place of residence or
• Place of residence
Assessors in the county of residence assess for a temporary increase in PCA services up to 45 days period. This is for when a person requires an increase in PCA services due to a change in condition. The assessors conduct assessments by telephone using data from the current PCA assessment as a baseline. A face-to-face assessment is required for increases lasting more than 45 days.
Assessors in the county of residence assess temporary start of services for up to 45 days when PCA services need to begin before assessors can make the face-to-face assessment. The assessor collects information about the need for services by telephone with the provider, person who receives services or other health care providers.
Assessors in the county of residence complete service updates by telephone with the person or their responsible party when:
• No change is needed in the authorized number of PCA units
• Person has not had a significant change in condition
• Person is not using PCA Choice
DHS recommends that service updates not be done for children as their age-appropriate dependencies change as they grow.
Use the PCA Assessment and Service Plan (DHS 3244) (PDF) to document the service update.
1. On page one, check same under Service Update.
2. Enter information on pages two through nine into MMIS to generate the new service agreement.
3. On page nine, in section four, Overall Results Since Last Assessment, be sure to check:
• Units/hours: same
• Phone service update